Big Sexy Arune.Com

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Upcoming Posts on Arune.Com's Blog

To give you all a preview of what's to come:



I'll be looking at Soap Operas, why they get a bad rap and why I feel that "All My Children" is a show deserving of a lot of respect. For those long time viewers, I'll ignore the whole "Santa Claus" fiasco and I will praise the "acting" of Zen Gesner, who played "Braeden Lavery" on the show. The show is probably the first piece of television I remember from my childhood and there are many a cherished a memory of my mother and I watching AMC while I was home on sick days. The trials and tribulations of actor Cameron Mathison have been a source of huge inspiration to me and the show has become my 1 hour refuge every day. I turn it on while I run on the treadmill and suddenly everything else fades away. I'm entertained. Isn' t that one of the big, important aspects of all creativity? To entertain?

People have always loved soaps as long as they weren't daytime affairs. Look at the success of the X-Men comics under Chris Claremont's tenure. Or the whole 90210/ Melrose Place/ O.C/ Desperate Housewives phenomenons. We all love soap.



There'll also be a retrospective on the "Angel" television series and why, to this day, it has impacted me more than almost any other work of fiction to which I've been introduced. The fifth season came out on DVD and it's a great ending to the show. If nothing else, "Smile Time" is absolute comedy genius and "Not Fade Away" is the best ending you could hope for from a television show. The sick part of me always hoped Angel (vampire cursed w/a soul) would finally become human again only to get run over by a random bus, just to show the screwed up side of life, but I loved this ending.

Oh, and BUY "Firefly" dammit!



Finally, I'll be focusing on my favorite superheroes and explaining why some characters resonate so much with me beyond my own nostalgic memories and how I think these characters could reach a larger audience.

I'll also follow it up with a little essay on the merits of looking to superheroes for inspiration and guidance, from how it affects a child to how an adult can interpret these colorful characters and apply lessons to their lives. There'll of course be comments as to how people are viewed when they're so fascinated with these fictional characters- expect this "essay" to be the sum of many posts.